My Life

Thursday, December 09, 2004

“Rebels without a cause, to leaders with a purpose”

This is the concept behind what Jubilee wants to do with the young men that come through there program. Jubilee is the Boy’s ranch that I work at right now. Well they are actually more then just a youth ranch, they are a school, a home, vocational training, a catalyst for change in the lives of young men. I’m a “Residential Counselor,” basically I hang out in the dorm with the guys. All of the students at the ranch live in dorm facilities. They come from many different situations and for different reasons. Most of them are sent there by their parents, some are actually sent there by the courts instead of going to an institution, and finally some come on their own accord. I am in the dorm to supervise them, so sometimes I feel like an over-grown babysitter. Every job has pieces that you don’t like, and that is mine. The part of my job that I love, and the reason that I go out there, is to be with the boys. Although, they are sometimes “hard” and not really receptive, there are times when I can see they get it. There are times that you can see them making better choices, and especially the times that I get to sit down and share my heart one-on-one with them. That is why I do this week after week.

Right now, I only get to work part-time. I go to school full time, and college can take up a lot of my focus. But I do go out for the majority of Saturday and Sunday every week. I am lucky that I can say honestly that I love my job. I do hate it sometimes, and it can be really hard, but I love to be there and to know that I am affecting their lives. I know that I’m affecting their lives because when I was a student there some of the staff really affected my life, and is a major part of the reason of where I am at now. So even when I do not see fruit, I still pray that I would be planting seed in good soil, and trust God to come and reap a harvest at some point. I graduated from Jubilee over two years ago, from their I went to the Master’s Commission, in Spokane and just came back to Tri-Cities to go to College.

My job, can be my favorite place to be, and sometimes I wish I could be somewhere else. It can be really a hard place to work, but I know that its good. It just tends to be dry, and draining (spiritually) on me, but this just forces me to get filled back up by God. I pour out my life many times to these boys, and have to trust God to use what I’ve done and give me wisdom on how to deal with the boys.

My Question to the readers
I was thinking about topics to use on this blog, and I was thinking about the boy’s at the ranch. Would a short focuses on some of the boy’s be interesting, so you can know some of who I work with, and for?


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. 2004-2005