My Life

Monday, December 20, 2004

The Calling

“Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?”

Leesun left a comment on my last post asking me what I thought about our duties as Christians in regards to the world need. That got me to thinking, and I figured that I would write a post about a snippet of it. This is a very difficult question to answer, and I had to sit and think about it some. I am not really sure what place world affairs should have in my life, and the worrying about people in other nations. I say now, that I am no authority, but if you would like to join me in a slight journey to look at this issue as it can relate to our lives.



Balance
Our lives are supposed to be balanced. This means a million different things, and is really different for each of our lives. Here is some of the roles that I have, that I have to balance. I’m a Christian, a student, a son, a church member, a volunteer at Safe Harbor Crisis Nursery, a Residential Councilor at Jubilee Youth Ranch, a friend, a member of a college club, and much more. These are just the really concrete roles that I participate in, but only a small portion of what makes up my life. Balance has to come to all of these. With so many things tugging for my attention, some have a greater priority. For me it’s relationships. It’s my relationship with God, my mom and family, my friends, the young men I work with. But that does not mean that the other parts of my life are less important. Are lives can be a balancing act, where we are metaphorically try to many different plates all spinning, without one of them falling.


Need
My mom sent me an email a while ago that had a link to this web site that described the world’s population simply. I deleted the email (doah) I tried to find it by just doing some searching, and I wasn’t able. All I have is a piece of paper with this information hand written on it. I think it’s fairly accurate, sorry for no citation.

The Worlds Population, if it was 100 people
61 Asians (see comment about this figure)
12 Europeans
13 African
14 North and South America
1 Australian
______________________________________
67 of them are not Christians, meaning that 33 percent are.
6 of the people would be older then 59 years old
13 are hungry
14 can’t read

Wow, that much of the world is in needs. I have also been amazingly lucky, in that I have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit. I was able to go to Africa (Kenya, Rwanda, Congo, and Tanzania) back in 2001. I have also been able to go to Mexico a number of times, and traveled around America a lot. So I have been able to see, talk to, and give to a lot of people first hand. This has never seemed to be enough, but I consider myself lucky to have been able to have the experiences that I have. This has allowed me to see the need first hand, and have those images and memories. It has also made me to appreciate what I have a lot more.

Need Fillers
There is a scripture in Ezekiel usually brought up when talking about Intercession (praying for others).

“29Extortion is rife, robbery is epidemic, the poor and needy are abused, outsiders are kicked around at will, with no access to justice.'
30"I looked for someone to stand up for me against all this, to repair the defenses of the city, to take a stand for me and stand in the gap to protect this land so I wouldn't have to destroy it. I couldn't find anyone. Not one. 31So I'll empty out my wrath on them, burn them to a crisp with my hot anger, serve them with the consequences of all they've done. Decree of GOD, the Master."

Ezekiel 22:29-30 The Message

God said he was looking fro somebody who stand up against the injustice, bring restoration, rebuild, and stand in the “gap.” There is a lot of need in the world, and we as Christians are supposed to come and fill those gaps, and help people.

Everyday LifeThese idea’s of grandeur, and global help must be planted firmly actions of our every day life to make any effect. We as Christians are called to help the hurting and broken, but for me that does not require all of us to help with the world wide need. I think we are called to show compassion on those that we come across in our lives. Think about the story of the good Samaritan. He was not called the good Samaritan because he went out and was looking around the world to help others, no it was because he had compassion on the person that he passed by on the road. He had actions showing compassion and love, and that is what made him the good Samaritan. I am not saying that people aren’t called around the world, to help need there, just that is not everybody’s calling. Every person has a calling on their lives, and stuff that they are shaped to do. In my life I know I love to work with at-risk youth, what I do at my job. But I also think that I am called to my neighbor. Not the metaphoric understanding of neighbor, but this guy who lives next door.

He has owns house next to us, and used to rent it out. His last renters really messed up the house. I don’t know everything that is going in his life, but he is a really sad old man. He has also gotten into drinking entirely too much wine every day. I have gone over there and given him rides place (I told him I would rather drive him, then he be drunk and drive), just sat and talked with him, helped him with some work around the house (he did pay me for that). I believe that I am supposed to have compassion on him and help him out how I can. I think this is what a lot of our callings are, to help those that we come across in our lives. Yes, some are called to have some sort of service to help those greatly in need in the community and around the world. But I think the majority of our callings take us into the market place, the government, the education sector… not just what is normally called “ministry.” I think what is important is that we keep our hearts open, and listen to Gods call. For what we do with our lives, what we do with our money, time, where we go, the people we help. And that we keep our eye’s open to the need of those around us.


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. 2004-2005