My Life

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Simple Gospel

I recently finished reading a book that was really good. It is called Under The Overpass, by Mike Yankoski. It is a very powerful book that describes these two young men that started questioning their faith and if they would be able really live it out where it was more difficult. They lived on the streets for five months, homeless. They had a lot of chances to minister to people, and be ministered to, to have good times, and to have really hard times. It’s a really good book, I’d highly recommend it.

As I was reading the book I started thinking about love. I think too often I have thought of my following Jesus to be a complicated thing. I mean, there is a lot of area’s of life to think about and try to be the best man that I can be. I was brought back to the concept of love. That’s all we have to do is just love. Jesus describes it as loving God, and loving our neighbors (ie those that around us). It is that simple, that we just love.

As I read the book, I also had a stirring feeling inside of me. I have know for a while that I want to work with people who are needy. This book got me excited to reach out to those that are underserved in our community. I noticed myself passionately speaking to a couple of friends the other day at a New Years party about poverty and needy people.

Labels:


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. 2004-2005