My Life

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Nacirema

I have had some interesting Sociology classes since it’s start at the beginning of the week. On the first or the second day of class, I got out of my comfort zone. Dr. Helford, said that he wanted to get do a quick experiment, and get people out of their comfort zone. He asked for six volunteers, three guys and three girls. He paired them off; two girls, a guy and a girl, and two guys. Then he had us look our partner in the eyes for 90 seconds (I was one of the lucky guys to be involved in the experiment with another guy). It was definitely a strange experience. Even though he shortened the time to just under a minute, it seemed like forever. I guess that there were definite differences between the posture and actions of the three pairs.

I also got to read an interesting article for his class. It was in a text book that I had to buy, I spent some $300 on books this quarter, but I did a Google search and found it here. Read the article, and email me what you think. I will tell you that it will take careful reading to understand what the author is showing us about the Nacirema culture, but I think that it is well worth the read. And email me, and tell me what you think, but due to the content I am not going to post specifics about the article.


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. 2004-2005