My Life

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Dios te bendiga

Well I’ve already learned a few important lessens this quarter. First I found out that college can really have two hours of homework per class hour. Here I had always thought that to be a myth, and that late nights where just for finals week. Second I figured out that college can really be hard, and you can’t always slide though like I did last quarter. Well, I didn’t slide through grade wise, I actually did really well. I got two 4.0, and one 3.9. Last quarter, I did not know the meaning of consistent hours of homework. For my sociology class and my Philosophy class, the work load isn’t that hard. They do require nightly homework, about an hour of reading each, and a short page on the reading to prove that the reading was actually done. It is my Spanish lass that is really difficult (difícil). Learning a new language is not natural, but takes a lot of practice. I feel behind already, because many of the people in the class took Spanish in high school, when I did not. Although it is difficult, I am glad that I’m taking the course. For years now, I have wanted to learn a foreign language, well really three. I think us Americans who are monolingual really are missing out on a lot. I wonder if it is different to be able to think about a subject in two different languages. Does it change your perspective; I would think that it does. I want to eventually learn to speak Spanish and German Fluently, and to be able to read Latin. This is long term, and right now all I can think about is this introduction into Spanish. Spanish normally has a few hours of homework worksheets a night, and I could take an indefinite amount of time to study the ever growing list of vocabulary. I’m confident that I will be able to excel in this class, but it will just take lots of hard work. I am also very lucky, because I have a lot of Hispanic connections. At work, about one third of the boys are Hispanic and at least semi fluent. My church is also bilingual (meaning the service is in both Spanish and English) which is really cool. So whenever I go to church I get to hear Spanish, plus the majority of the congregation is Hispanic (kind of weird to not be the majority, but I’m cool with that). So the cell group (I’ll talk about my church someday) that I meet with is mostly Hispanic. So I know that I can get a hold of a guy René or a girl Norma, and they would be able to help me. Sometimes I bring my homework with me to the cell. I think that this class will help me to be “muy trabajador” (very hard-working), if I hope to pass this class.


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. 2004-2005