My Life

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Values, Faith, and the Division of the Political Ideologies

My mom sent me a link to an article put on NPR’s Fresh Air program. It is an interview with Rev. Jim Wallis. Rev. Wallis is the author of God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. He is also the editor of Sojourner magazine, a progressive magazine. This (progressive) is the term that is used by Terry Gross (the interviewer) and one that is recently new to me. It is a different terminology to refer to liberal, or left of center. I tend to fall very right of center (politically) where my mom is on the opposite spectrum (left of center). We do both disagree about many issues regarding politics, faith, and I’m sure other things; but there are also quite a few issues we are both strongly on the same side about. Our relationship is such that, we get by just fine with these major disagreements, and have led to some interesting conversations. Rev. Wallis, talked in this broadcast about some of the less talked about “faith issues.” It seems that the media is having a hay day about faith and politics. Values and faith have been an important part of the political process though out history. There is some rhetoric that is often left out, when these issues are brought up. Let’s try an experiment, “I say values in politics…” you say “abortion and gay marriage.” Are these the topics that come to mind first? Whether that is how it should be could be debatable (meaning what should be the priority of the social understanding of our faith), but the fact that the other issues don’t come up is a sad day for understanding values. Both of these issues need to be talked about, and more importantly done about, but this is the rhetoric from the right. The left is the one that talks about social justice issues, poverty, and the environment. The right is considered the religious sect, but these ideologies are stricken from there view of need it seems. These are important issues, that regard faith and values (I am only mentioning a few, there are more left out qualities).

Faith, values, and morals require us to look at all of the issues, and bring social change where it is needed. Remember, the church is to be a counterculture, changing the unjust social institutions. Our lives as Christians are meant to be rounded, where all of the moral issues are meant to be understood. The interview itself is really good, and I emphatically agree with the need of these subjects to be talked about and more importantly done about. While I agree with Rev. Willis that far, I do not necicarly agree with all of the avenues that he would seem to promote as a solution to these issues. This difference in ideas is good though, it causes us to be more rounded people (just like between me and my mom). One last note, that I am always reminded of, when I start to discuss “high and lofty” ideals, and that is what am I doing with the hands God gave me. Are they comforting, praying for others? Before I worry about those out there, what have I personally done for those I am around now? I think that these ideals are important, and we can spend our lives working for them, but I just don’t like to talk about them if I’m not doing anything about it. For example, I heartily agree with UK Prime Minister Tony Blair (World Economic Forum) about the need to work on issues of global warming and poverty in Africa, I am also forced to look at those around me who are hurting and whys that I can pour out my life not just my money.


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. 2004-2005